Friday, April 2, 2010

What's in a Name?

The name of this blog and the name of the Jewish Wedding division of my business has special meaning.  Bashert or Beshert is a Yiddish word meaning "destiny" or "meant to be." It is used in reference to a soulmate or perfect match. 

The Jewish concept is that before a child is born, G-d has already made his or her match.  And later in life, we go in search of our bashert or intended spouse. I saw one blogger who put it nicely:  Whether next door or on the other side of the world, "Divine Providence will lead every person to find his or her bashert." My grandmother also used to touch on the idea of a bashert saying, "There is a lid for every pot."

I love the idea that my husband and I were destined to be together.  Indeed, there must have been someone up there bringing a girl from Alabama and boy from San Francisco together.  In tribute to this idea that fate brought us together, my wedding ring is engraved with the word "Beshert" and my husband's says "meant to be." 

For those of you planning your weddings, mazel tov on finding your own bashert! I hope this blog can help you to plan your perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment